Tuesday, March 4, 2014

ER upgrade!

Today I had a 5 star Emergency Room experience.  Did you know such a thing was possible?   I didn't!

Within five minutes of arrival blood tests were ordered and we had results from the first round less than two minutes later!


 And they added recliners to the ambulatory ER waiting/treatment area!  They were comfortable and plentiful.   


I had the sweetest volunteer for my EKG and things only got better when I met the doctor.  She was nice, smart and an English speaker.  She was impressed with my knowledge of what was going on with my body and my disorder.  She was respectful and interested and totally excited to call in a team of medical students to check out my "classic" symptoms and neurological responses, things they learn about in school but don't get to see often.

Today I was a teaching tool.  They cleared a room to put me in so students could come tap my face, check my reflexes and discuss my history.  I felt a bit like a trained monkey.  I am all for teaching students, but it was uncomfortable none the less.  "Tap here and her face twitches" is a bit awkward, not what I am normally excited to be known for.

Most importantly though, I was home before my kids were B"H!  They have no idea I was gone all morning.

I should have asked for a second set of blood tests and a second round of IVs to get my labs closer to normal values.  If I had asked they would have done it, but I was torn.  I am out of danger for the minute but will need IV again in a day or so, which means another trip to Jerusalem for another ER or urgent care visit.

In the end stability reigns in my house for today B"H.  My kids know I am not well. I am not hiding that from them, but my ER and urgent care visits worry them.  Coming home to find lunch and a mommy makes a huge difference to them, so I make myself into a pretzel to be here when they get home if it is at all possible.  It is always exciting when it B"H works out on a day like today.  It isn't usually possible to get out of the ER in a normal time frame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map