My friend was really upset about the line. She was offended and felt it was insensitive.
I read the same article and didn't even blink at the line, to such an extent that I wasn't sure if I had actually read that weeks column. I had to go back and find the magazine to re-read it to realize I had.
The following was my reply to my friend:
I sympathise with your reaction to the line you quoted, but I also think I understand where the author is coming from as well.
Sometimes when people are going through them, they make light even of serious things. If you don't laugh you have to cry and laughing is more comfortable.
I was at a consult with a surgeon who wanted to do less of a surgery than the first two surgeons I had consulted with. I asked him why, and he said "I am not going to answer that since you won't understand anyway." My reply to that was to laugh. I am an intelligent and informed patient, so his answer seemed absurd to me. His response to my laughter was "this isn't funny, it is cancer!" and that had me laughing so hard I had tears running down my face.
To this day, whenever things get too much, all anyone has to say is "this isn't funny, it is cancer!" to start the laughter flowing.
Mind you, the doctor was wrong, he would have been leaving behind cancerous nodes with his abbreviated surgery. B"H I didn't go with him!
I lost my father to cancer when I was 15. I have had cancer. My brother had cancer. My grandmother had cancer. My MIL has had two kinds of cancer, one of them two times.
I take cancer seriously, but it is only cancer. It isn't my emunah (faith) or my kesher with HKBH (relationship with God). It isn't even my ability to laugh or smile. It is a nisayon (challenge), and not a pretty one, but if I had a choice I would take it over severe mental illness chv"sh (God forbid) or brain injury.
I am not downplaying cancer chv"sh, but if it is the nisayon I am given, I will try to get through it with a positive attitude, even if that makes it seem that I am not taking it as seriously as people on the outside would like.
Cancer is serious. It is messy. It is horrible. I hate cancer. But it is also me. It isn't something I can leave behind because it has changed me and how I must live my life. It has robbed me of my father. But I can't let it steal my sense of humor, my ability to laugh or my smile. It has also been the reason I met some wonderful people and given me perspective on life that I wouldn't have had without it.
I love your attitude. For you, the glass is half full. Such a great life lesson.
ReplyDeleteMost prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
ReplyDeleteHe listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis