Thursday, March 13, 2014

I am scared

I am davening/praying that this ends up okay, but I let down my guard and I am worried.  My port was used by a new nurse who I had been told was "central line certified" though it turns out she was nice but plain old clueless and I was feeling bad enough not to be on top of things as I should.   I came home too exhausted to go upstairs and fell asleep in my recliner.  I didn't get to bed until 5:45am.  When I put on my nightgown I realized my shirt was soaked with blood, but she had apologized for getting blood on my shirt, so I still didn't wake up enough to look at my line.  It was only this morning that I realized she had taken off the clave (a vital part of the line that serves as a valve that keeps bacteria from getting in  http://www.icumed.com/products/infusion-therapy/needlefree-vascular-access-devices/microclave-clear.aspx) and that the tubing had blood in it, which even without the clave on shouldn't have happened except the line wasn't even clamped until I thought to check it while driving home.  The only thing that kept me from bleeding out was a swabcap, an alcohol filled cover which is meant to be an extra safeguard over the clave, not a cap or stopper at all.

I called my doctor and we weighed the risks of the port clotting off because of blood in the chamber (which there likely is since there was blood in the tubing) vs the risk of central line infection and we decided that the safest thing was to pull out the needle to try to reduce the line infection risk.    Line infections are a big deal which we have many precautions to try to prevent .  They can, God forbid, easily lead to sepsis and death.

I am worried because both possibilities, God forbid, still exist.

Please pray for me, Chaya Liba bas (daughter of) Sorah.


1 comment:


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map