Monday, May 16, 2011

This shouldn't be so hard.

A vacation should not include wondering if IV saline can be putting into checked luggage without bursting or coordinating doctors and nurses to order labs and be ready to give IV medication.

The hard part should be the itinerary, which museums to go to, and the rental car.

I wish we could take a vacation from everything medical. From my stuff, from my sons medical stuff, from it all.

I really want to go, but there are so many things to coordinate, and then I start sounding obsessed or worried when I just feel busy. An IV dependent woman traveling with a tube fed child with supplemental oxygen needs is a train wreck unless everything is coordinated and planned out.

We need plug adapters to charge things on our layover and when we get to our destination, oxygen on the plane, medical clearance to fly, letters for the security people, IV supplies, tube feeding supplies, spare feeding tube, portable oxygen concentrator and paraphernalia, pulse oximeter, tape, formula, meds for a month for everyone, plus all of the normal things.

I guess I am obsessed. My brain is pretty stuck. This is my second post on the same topic.

But I think considering out situation, my need to plan is pretty normal. I think that my work planning and figuring it all out is the only reason that we can make the trip, and the reason we may be able to get through it smoothly and enjoy it.

We have just over six weeks until we go, and I can see that things are working out and falling into place. I have also started shopping. We got my son the cutest suitcase for his birthday. It is a ride on toy and a suitcase all wrapped up in one. http://www.amazon.com/Trunki-Ruby-Red/dp/B004AVQ22U/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1305498220&sr=8-17 - there is a cute video on this listing (we got it cheaper but where we got it there is no video). His birthday is right after we get to the states, so the timing was good.

We also started gathering our suitcases, dusting them off after years of storage in the eaves, and figuring out what we have and what we need.

That part has actually been fun.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going, even if you are dragging all the medical stuff around. All the planning is good, you don't seem like you have forgotten anything.

    The suitcase is adorable. What a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check with Yad Sarah of main branch Y'lem and ask for Joram Seela and give my name. I also have his mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you have to plan every detail. It's not being obsessive; it's being in control. I'm in awe. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your validation and support!

    My doctor was so excited to have me going, as long as I had a plan to stay medically stable. :) I think I really need this, and I need it to work out and go smoothly as well.

    ReplyDelete


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map