Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Almost normal

My medication changes seem to have worked, my calcium is just below normal.  My phosphorus is still high though.  Now my new, intelligent endocrinologist wants me lowering me medication doses back to my old doses and the endocrinologist who works in my health clinic, and takes me insurance, thinks I should stay at the new doses forever.

Their goals for my calcium levels are drastically different as well.  The new endo/calcium specialist wants my calcium between 7.5-8 (normal is 8.6-10.2)  the endo covered by insurance says 8.6-9 (normal again 8.6-10.2).  New endo says that high doses of oral calcium and alpha d3 and hypoparathyroidism puts me at high risk of calcifications (bone, brain, muscle), kidney damage and kidney stones.  The insurance endo insists that those things only happen with high calcium levels, not low normal.

The problem is, I trust and respect the new endo, but seeing him regularly and paying out of pocket is an expensive proposition.  I was hoping to get the two of them to work together.  I gave the insurance endo new endo's letter, with the goals and all on it, but it didn't do us any good at all.  She barely even skimmed it.  When she was done "reading" it she asked me questions that proves she didn't read it at all.

So now I have to pick.  I can't listen to them both, and I can't keep seeing them both and ignore one.  I just doesn't work.  My obvious inclination is to stick with the calcium specialist.  I trust him. The low calcium level goal makes me nervous.  He agrees it may not be compatible with a good quality of life and we may need to increase my levels to keep me feeling okay.  I just wish he took my insurance.

The difference between how I feel at 7.5 (last week) and 8.5 (today) is just incredible.  I cleaned up my kitchen last night after I came home from date night with DH, ran errands and had doctors' appointments this morning and I still feel okay.  I am a touch numb and definitely tired, but normal people tired, not sick and broken tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map