One of the things I had asked him for was protocol for what to do when my calcium is low. I got an answer, but what he feels is standard is something that has never happened in 3 years of calcium issues for me. His protocol would likely work, but standard? I wish. I am quoting it exactly as I received it. The English isn't great, mostly typos I am sure, but English is his 4th or 5th language so I am willing to cut him some slack either way.
The protocol of treatment of hypocalcemia is standard, and written in every manual of emergency room.In cases of symptomatic hypocalcemia, it is recommended to give IV CALCIUM GLUCONATE : one vial (10 mg/ML) witihn 10 minutes, may be repeated once or twice untill synptoms resolve, and thengive an infusion of 5 -10 vials of with solution dextrose 5% 500-1000 cc WITHING 6 - 12 hours, respectively.
Until now my "treatment" has always been 2 vials of calcium gluconate over 1 hour, and nothing after. Those "extra" 5-10 vials might be the difference between feeling better for a day or so and feeling better more long term. Any which way, it has never happened that way, standard or not.
On a more fun, or at least less medical, front, we are getting into a good vacation groove here at home. The kids and I figured out that having a set clean up time at the end of the day keeps the house in order while preventing me from asking them to clean up at random times throughout the day when they would rather be doing other things or are in the middle of projects.
We all like starting the day with a clean table and a nice house, and they are much more willing to help when it is scheduled in and they know it is coming.
It is funny that it took me so many years of parenting to realize that just like they do well with a schedule for everything else (I don't even say nightgowns any more, I just say, "it is 7 o'clock!") that cleanup could be scheduled too. So cleanup time here is 6:30-7pm and all is well.
With all of my hormonal imbalances and my inability to exercise I have gained quite a bit of weight over the last three years. Often I just don't have energy to care. Right now I do, at least a bit. I am trying to eat more healthfully, but it is hard. I need foods with fat to absorb my d3/alpha d3, food to absorb my calcium and chocolate is a comfort when life is hard and I don't feel well. Most healthy foods are high in phosphorus, but then again so is milk chocolate.
I have to figure out how to motivate myself to take better care of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment