Then I got a stomach virus. It was a horrible three days, but for what ever reason, even after the virus was gone I still couldn't/can't get my calcium levels stabilized. They are low even with IV calcium, and increased medications to a level that I have never been on before. IVs are making me feel better for a day to a day in a half, but highly ineffective overall.
I am a human pincushion, but with only two good veins. They don't even have to feel for them at this point which makes life easier.
The good news is, I found out that our 24 hour urgent care center (Terem in Romema) does calcium blood levels! The bad news is, now that my doctor knows she happily sends me there weekends and there doesn't seem to be a way to get out of there in less than 6 hours, sometimes more like 8.
The bad news is, my low calcium isn't just causing me incredible numbness/pins and needles and muscle twitching, but the "anxiety" that I was told was a common side effect of low calcium is actually my heart complaining. Hearts rely on calcium to recharge and beat and my ECG shows changes from low calcium. I have both a long qt interval and repolarization problems. My heart feels achy and I can feel it beating since it is having trouble doing so when my calcium is this low.
I have been looking for an endocrinologist who can help, since my current endo really isn't a calcium expert and it feels like this is all out of her league. I think I may have found one, but he is at a hospital I prefer to avoid. We had horrible experiences there with my son. They almost killed him more times than I would like to count. This endocrinologist's specialty is calcium disorders though and that is quite rare. I made an appointment for Thursday and have to put on a brave face and go, even if I don't want to.
I am feeling so so broken with my calcium not coming up and the intense discomfort and chest pain, but hopeful that we can get my levels under control and have hope of getting a plan to keep this from happening again or at least fixing it faster if it does.
No comments:
Post a Comment