Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hired!

I went for my blood work this morning. My favorite nurse was taking care of me. Since I had a stack of lab slips I was helping her figure out which vials she needed for the draw. It is all old hat by now, some of these labs we have been doing multiple times a week for almost a year, so I know which colors vials go with which lab and how many labs can be drawn on one tube.

After she finished the draw she said to me, "Liba, we are looking for another nurse. You would be perfect. You already know what is done here, where everything is and wouldn't need any training. You are so patient and kind and I think it would be a great fit. Are you sure you don't want a job?"

B"H She had other patients to attend to after me, because I was doing my best not to laugh. I will admit that I am a quick learner, and tall enough to reach things down from the upper cabinets for her when she can't, so I have learned where things are. I did work as a medical secretary for many years and my boss did make me draw her blood a couple times, but I am not a nurse, never was a nurse, never had desire to be a nurse and am barely getting through a day, forget taking a job. Between my own medical junk and caring for a medically fragile child I do not need any extra doctor, hospital or health related stuff in my life thank.you.very.much.but.no.

It is nice to know she thinks that highly of me, but no thanks, I think I will have to pass on that one!

Now if the beading store was hiring... that might be worth considering. The only problem is I would never get a paycheck, just lots of beads. The girls supply was replenished today and I went to another beading class over an hour late because there was too much in the store to look at. We figured we needed an hour there, but two wasn't even enough.

Because I was less numb today (I had good calcium and pretty good phosphorus levels for the first time in ages!) I managed to do the beading and crocheting at the class today!! I was late so I didn't have time to finish in class but I managed to complete it at home. I didn't want to miss the chance and end up too numb to do it next week.

I haven't had this much feeling in my hands since I was off of my medication for the RAI.

I think I still prefer just beads on a string to the crocheted look, but it is pretty and an accomplishment! I am proud.


3 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! You should be proud.

    The "you should be a nurse" compliment cracked me up. There's no doubt you would be skilled and have the right comforting personality, but I can imagine you are MORE than tired of doctor's offices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am still in awe of the fact that I did it after so many failed attempts and so much frustration. I almost returned the silver thread, but it was obviously bshert (preordained). One of my kids opened the roll for me before I had a chance to get back to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That nurse gave you a big compliment. You have a big heart! The beadwork looks great! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map