Friday, June 12, 2009

I am failing this low phosphorus thing

The more I learn the more I realize that I have no clue what I am doing.

My dietitian appointment is in July so I have to figure this out on my own.

Nephrologist recommended limiting my diet to less than 500mg of phosphorus a day. Once I got a number I started researching individual foods. It turns out that one cup if milk is 247mg, cup of lentils is 356mg, a corn muffin is 395mg, 1oz of American cheese is 211mg, 3.5oz of chicken is 228mg, 3oz of liver 392mg and 3oz of fish is 292mg.

It looks like most fruit is less than 30mg per serving. An egg is only 86mg of phosphorus and coolwhip and popsicles have no phosphorus at all. A slice of bologna, which I was prevoiusly under the impression was like poison, is only 43mg and a slice of whole wheat bread 64mg, which is high compared to white bread (24mg) but not nearly as bad as a bowl of oatmeal (176mg).

All in all, I have a lot to learn, a lot of research to do, and am getting a good idea why my "low phosphorus" diet wasn't doing what we wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map