Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scan done!

It looks like we can try the RAI without doing another surgery first!! The cut off was 5 on the scan results and we squeaked in under that. I have no idea what the results mean, but I got a pretty spotted multicolor picture and the oncologist got a copy of it as well. She seemed happy enough so I will be as well.

I barely saw the oncologist (I didn't have an appt, was just told to stop by with the results, she came down to see them and went back to where ever she had been previously) but I spent quite a bit of time with her nurse, which couldn't explain the results any better than I can. That was a bit frustrating, but I am sure google will be my friend at some point and explain everything to me.

What the nurse could tell me: I am scheduled for 150mci of RAI on August 9th. I can't be home, near my children, for a full week. The first three days are in isolation in the hospital. I get a room with my own phone (I have the number already), a water cooler, a fridge and a private bathroom. I have to shower three times a day, must NOT vomit and need to suck on sour candies to try to prevent salivary gland damage. Blood draws for two weeks are an issue, the blood will be radioactive, so we better get the calcium issues under control before then! While I am in isolation the nurses will not come into the room. No one will come into my room. I have phone numbers to call the nurse if there is a problem.

On August 19th I have a whole body scan scheduled. I have to call tomorrow to find out what time.

My calcium is low again (7.9 - normal 8.6-10.2) which hopefully explains why I feel like I do. Walking today has been an issue. I have to think and work on picking up the toes on my right foot or it just drags. I probably should have just gone to the ER and gotten IV calcium instead of coming home after my scan today but I didn't have the results yet. I really don't have the energy to go back.

Outside of that things went pretty smoothly today. My ride to the hospital worked out nicely. There wasn't much of a wait for the scan. The oncologist and her nurse took good care of me. I enjoyed my ice coffee. I got a ride right to my bus stop. My bus came pretty much right away and now I am home for a bit.

The girls should be home soon so I need to log off and pretend to be wide awake and at least mentally there for them! Thank God lunch is being delivered or I would be in big trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map