Yesterday I bought the girls school skirts. I got the right sizes for the older two (and they are very happy with the styles I got as well) but I have to exchange ER's for eights. I bought sixes and they are too small. It is funny since she is a proportionate child and her size six uniform shirts are too big. They are the smallest uniform shirts they sell and she is going to have to roll the sleeve up twice to get them near the right length. Clothing sizes make little sense to me!!
Today the children all had dentist appointments in Yerushalayim at 9am. As it happens the endocrinologist my primary care doctor wanted me to see (my old one is out of ideas for the calcium levels and doesn't have appointments available to see her in person) was seeing patients in Yerushalayim today as well, on the same street even, right across the street from the dentist. Her only available appointment was at 4:45pm though.
We finished up with the dentist at 11am and went to the shuk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahane_Yehuda_Market which is always an experience. We bought fresh pitot, a bunch of my kids favorite fruits and vegetables (including corn on the cob! a rare treat here) an alarm clock for the girls room and some school supplies. We sat and ate in the shade, took lots of water breaks and dawdled as much as we could. By quarter of two everyone was overheated and complaining of sore feet. :) Even the stroller riders had had enough.
We headed over to the doctor's office, hoping that she would be there and available earlier and B"H her 2:30pm appointment was a bit late so I was put in in her place!! It was such an incredible relief.
The new endo is American, so language was easy. She was nice, sweet, thinks the world of my primary care doctor, and had some ideas about changing medications.
She was not happy with my TSH of 0.01. Considering my history and disease spread she wants my TSH undetectable. She wants me to add another 50mci of thyroid medication once a week.
I am not sure what I think of that. 0.01 is really low even in the post thyroid cancer world. It is low enough to put my at severely high risk for osteoporosis, which family history has already made most likely. There are other potential side effects of taking large doses of thyroid medication and I am not sure that all of them are less scary than a thyroid cancer recurrence.
She is adding more Alpha D3 to try to keep my calcium a bit higher, totally on board with IV calcium when ever I am symptomatic (though the first mention of IV calcium before she looked at my labs had her eyebrows up) and will be following up regularly.
Unlike my old endo, the new one did not give me her cell phone number in case of emergencies. Either she figures that my primary will continue taking care of emergencies like she has, or she just doesn't give out her number. Since she is an American doctor, either one could be the case. The Israeli doctors are much more free with their cell phone numbers.
We still have the skirts the exchange, ER's first grade math books to purchase, wrapping paper to buy (to wrap their books in, no brown paper bags to be found here!), books to wrap and TF's skirts to hem before school starts. We have made lots of progress though and IY"H will get to school prepared, healthy and happy!!
By the way, ER spoke with the dentist today, answered all of his questions, asked him questions and laughed at his joke. It is like a switch has flipped and she has turned into a typical six year old. B"H. It is wonderful to see her bloom!!
now if I could understand my lab results....24HCa was 25 (way left of acceptable but fine in blood) and B12 dropped to mid900's. Ferritin upped from 56-99!
ReplyDelete