As soon as my cleaning lady left this morning (I love her so) my mother started taking down the pictures, and sanding them, in my living room. Once the project was started she realized how many ridges and grooves there are in the frame. There isn't much else to do other than proceed or purchase stain that matches the original color because she started sanding, so my mother is not giving up. If it turns out well it will look nice, but either way I will think of her every time I look at my walls even after she leaves.
We got the sewing machine going as well. The new Singer brand bobbins my mother brought do not work in it (they are a tad too big) but I had three bobbins from when the sewing machine was mine before, and they fit and work beautifully. So far my mother fixed my husband's pants and one of my daughter's skirts.
This is the kind of help and project I can really appreciate and encourage. I have to look for more mending for her to do. As much as the machine is staying here, I am glad she is getting things done now. My mother needs to feel productive and this fills the nitch while making everyone else feel taken care of at the same time.
AC went searching for books (from the attic) for my mother to read to him. They are bonding and enjoying each other's company more and more. Despite the fact that AC doesn't speak English and his Hebrew is hard for my mother to understand, they are getting along nicely. He wakes her up most morning singing his little songs which she appreciates, even if I wouldn't at six am.
The pool was only granted a half a day of attention today. Either its glory is fading, or today was an off day. Come to think of it, we didn't have any neighbor children here either. Very very odd.
My mother in law arrived, from the US, today. I spoke with her to give her my cab driver's number but haven't seen her yet. I hope we see her tomorrow, but until I know her plans I am not making any. I haven't told the children that she is here, in the area yet, because I originally though she was going to my sister in law up north first, so this will be a great surprise.
All in all, it was a quiet, pleasant, companionable day.
Though I love low key days, we have some potential excitement on the horizon, which could also be good. Tomorrow evening we may be going couch shopping, if no one else bought the couch that caught our eye. There was a second hand couch advertised that is exactly what I am looking for. My couch is really a 13 year old love seat, with place for two, and the chair in my living room is closer to my age than not and now leaning to one side. Even my mother agrees, if we can find something nice and reasonably priced, the time for new furniture has come.
I really hope it works out.
Fantabulous! things are looking up. I hope the rest of grannies visit will continue to be a pleasant/pleasurable experience for all.
ReplyDelete