My cell phone stopped charging a couple days ago, two weeks after my husband's phone stopped charging. The battery has been totally dead and with no way of recharging it I have been phone free.
There was a time when being unattached, unreachable and disconnected felt good. It was freeing. I could just concentrate on here and now. It doesn't feel that way any more. I need to know my kids are okay. The ability to get in touch with others and for others to be able to be in touch with me, when they need to, is a comfort.
For a day I thought that we just wouldn't buy new phones. I thought that the freedom would be good, until I tried it.
After the first day I had my husband go to a store and see about buying new phones but the cost was more than I was willing to pay. The same phones without the internet and games disabled cost a fraction of the cost and that ticked me off.
We spent another day cell phone free, then our home phone stopped working. It is a VOIP phone, so it relies on the internet being up to work. When we switched from a regular land line to a voip phone line I knew it would be less reliable, but I was okay with it since we both had cell phones. The savings was worth the occasional inconvenience.
With no cell phone it was another story though.
Once we had phone service I called and ordered new cell phones. They arrived today. B"H we have working phones again. I can call and ask my husband to pick up something from the store when he is on break, find out when he is on his way home, receive my doctors phone calls no matter where I am and know that if there is a problem when I am not at home, someone can reach me.
For many years we didn't have cellphones and were happy that way. Times have changed. Now my working phone is cause for celebration.
I would go nuts - insane or die g-D FORBID
ReplyDeleteToo funny.
ReplyDeleteDid you think of going to the store where I got those really cheap mobile phones. They are great.
FWIW, I LOVED the 6 months when my phone was not working. If it weren't for my husband, I would not have replaced it!
I constantly have my phone on me. It's in my back pocket right now. LOL
ReplyDeleteMikini - it wasn't pretty. I had a bit of an anxiety attack when I realized the home, cell and internet were all down.
ReplyDeleteRivkA I thought I would love being with a cell, but I really didn't. The cheap store phones didn't work with kosher sim cards, which is what we have. In the end our phones should be costing about the same since we told Cellcom that we would cancel our cell phones rather than paying their overinflated prices.
Sue, I hear you! I love having pockets. My favorite jacket does and everything lives in there.