Friday, March 5, 2010

Curtains, clutter, time and energy.

It is a funny time of year.

My neighbors and I are in the midst of decluttering and spring cleaning (ostensibly getting ready for Pesach/Passover). Often we speak on the phone as we are doing our work. Moral support is needed, and plus, the cups I haven't used in 10 year may be exactly what my neighbor needs and the curtain material that my neighbor is getting rid of may be perfect on my son's window.

Some years I wonder if decluttering this way works. So far this year we are up several bags of hand me down clothing and some material for curtains and down a lot of papers and broken toys.

It takes a lot more energy, emotionally as well as physically, to get rid of stuff than take it, especially when the stuff is delivered to the door by the neighbors' willing children.

4 comments:

  1. So true! I just did the same thing here, but it didn't seem to make a big enough dent. I keep a box in the garage all the time so as we find something we don't need/want, we all know to put it out there. I guess if we didn't do this, we would be suffocated with belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I do the laundry, I've been packing away clothes that don't fit or aren't worn anymore. My plan is to have a garage sale this spring. We'll see if it happens. I'm hoping to do it the weekend before our church's rummage sale so my leftovers can be donated there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, we are garage (and car) free here so quickly passing it all on to the neighbors is easiest. We have very little storage space for extras, except the attic and once it gets up there it rarely gets back down.

    Sue, I used to be great about packing up or giving away clothing as it got too small, but my energy has been limited for so long that it is overwhelming. I have several boxes of mixed too small and off season clothing that needs to be dealt with. I am tempted to get rid of it all and buy new when we need, but shopping takes energy as well as money. God willing, I will have the energy to go through and sort all of the clothing soon!

    ReplyDelete


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map