Tuesday my cleaning lady came. She is a wonderful woman who works hard and with love. When she arrived she asked if I wanted more hours, since her husband was home with her kids. I said I would take what ever she could give me!
She worked four and a half hours instead of her normal three. She moved furniture and washed under everything. It was exactly what needed to be done for Pesach and I was so grateful that she gave us the extra time and energy when I knew she had her own house to clean.
When she was done I tried to pay her for the four and a half hours but she only wanted for three. She wanted us to take the rest as her gift since things have been so hard and I am supposed to be resting. Not only had I asked her to stay and work, I know that things are financially difficult in her house and Pesach is an expensive holiday so I was intent on paying for the work she did.
20 shekel I managed to put into her bag without her noticing, the other fifty I told her I didn't have the right change. It was a 200 shekel bill or nothing.
She wasn't pleased. I told her that the money wasn't mine, it was from my abba (father). She pointed at my husband and asked if I meant him. I pointed up and said no "Him". She finally agreed to take it.
The total I paid her was seventy shekel more than I pay her most weeks, which is a very very small sum compared to what she did for us. We are much more prepared and at ease with the fact that Pesach is coming.
Later the same day my husband was at work and one of our neighbors came to shop. She handed him an envelope and said it was for me. There was a thank you note in there for the mishloach manos (Purim holiday gift) and my husbands reading of Megilas Esther and forty shekel. Considering the fact that we have given her mishloach manos and she has been at our house every year for my husband's reading of Megilas Esther the last five years and we never got a thank you note or gift. Though it was sweet it was a little odd.
Today we got the other thirty shekel that I promised He was paying. A gift certficate we were expecting arrived and instead of 500 shekel it was 530. In any other situation it would have been an odd amount, but today we just smiled.
That is an amazing story, but I am not really amazed. You certainly cannot outgive Him, can you? I am very thankful your home is clean and ready and that you were so blessed.
ReplyDeleteHaShem's guiding Hand is never far from us. Your story remind us of this.
ReplyDeleteMindy, no, not amazing, I just love seeing His hand so clearly. I know I am blessed but I appreciate the ways He shows me He is taking care of us. They feel like greeting cards or gifts.
ReplyDeleteMikimi, it never is!! B"H We can see it so clearly!
Liba, you are such a blessing to others and blessed in return!
ReplyDelete