Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New plan, living with cancer.

My surgeon is very unenthusiastic about going after the mass because of its location behind my carotid artery, relatively small size (1cm) and all of the scar tissue from my neck dissection. The oncologist agrees that the RAI isn't likely to take care of it without surgery, so the plan now is to watch and wait. We will be doing regular blood tests and ultrasounds and living with it.

So, I have cancer and it is okay.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I am greatly relieved not to be doing surgery or RAI again now, but I really really want this gone.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering what your doc would say - mine said the same thing! My uptake scan showed the cancer wasn't accepting the RAI, so that isn't a treatment option. They thought I should wait on the surgery, since I have already had two, for the same reasons as your docs gave.

    So what's worse? Treatment, or walking around with cancer that isn't going to be treated?!?!?

    My doc said, "Consider this a chronic disease, you will die WITH it, not FROM it."

    Let's take this as good news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, thank you!

    Mindy, I am sorry you are also in this boat.

    My oncologist's comment was that "waiting won't change your mortality rate." (Poor Israeli being made to speak English to me) Once I processed what she said I had to work on not laughing, because she is right. Cancer or no cancer I will only die once.

    ReplyDelete


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map