Despite issues sleeping last night (there was an odd humming noise outside that was bothering me, it turns out it was a neighbors extra refrigerator running in their front yard) I was up and out this morning. My blood went out with the early driver and I got results already!! My calcium is still low, but not low enough for IV. I am feeling great so that is just fine with me.
All in all, we are busy, happy and eating well.
My kids always professed not to like potato kugel, but they are eating it up at a rapid rate. We have gone through several sponge cakes, lots of meringues, lots of mashed potatoes, plenty of chicken with home made duck sauce, and roast as well. We are B"H eating well. The kids have been helping with the peeling.
The pickles were wonderful a day and a half after pickling them, but the peeled cucumbers turn from yummy to yummy to mushy really quickly. By day two they aren't as good. Since we don't generally have much time to wait for them to pickle on Pesach and always have plenty of pickle eaters available that is just fine with me! If we weren't out of cucumbers we would make pickles daily knowing that they will be yummy, fresh and eaten. Next year we have to buy more cucumbers.
I am signing off to make more meringues and cook up some custard base for ice cream. This is certainly a great holiday for fresh food and eating well.
Can I have your pickle recipe? :D
ReplyDeleteand what flavor ice cream pray tell?
ReplyDeleteSue, Boil together 6 cups water, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, and 1/4 cup of
ReplyDeletewhite vinegar. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
Pack a jar with about 12 small cucumbers or 6-8 larger ones,
quartered. (I peel them and cut them in circles for Pesach because we don't eat peals on Pesach and I want them to pickle fast)
Pack in a good handful of fresh dill, 3 cloves of garlic (mashed or cut in half), and 2 teaspoons pickling spice - (I don't use it for Pesach and they come out fine)
Pour the hot brine (water, vinegar and salt mixture) over the cucumbers and cover with a lid. Let them sit out on the counter top
for 1-2 days then move to the refrigerator. Pickles are ready in under a week. If the pickles are pealed they can be eaten in 18 hours and must be moved to the fridge if not eaten.
Mikimi, that batch was custard... but as you saw the kids left what was out out to defrost and the texture is all wrong now. We will have to defrost and refreeze it or stick with the chocolate. :)