Because my surgery to remove the cancer damaged my parathyroids my body doesn't have the ability to regulate my calcium levels. I take medication multiple times a day and when I do too much my levels drop anyway and I end up needing IV.
I have been having major issues with my calcium because I have been doing too much getting ready for Pesach. Low calcium is dangerous, and the more I do the lower is gets. High calcium is dangerous as well, so we have to do blood tests to determine exactly where my calcium is and treat accordingly.
This week we did lab tests three times and IV twice.
Last night, when I was at the office for my IV, the nurse informed me that during chol hamoed Pesach (the semi holiday middle days when we can cook, drive, do blood tets...) they are only doing limited tests, and calcium is not one of them. They are basically just doing CBCs, clotting tests and fertility tests.
What we are going to do and how I am going to survive the week is a good question. It isn't like I can sit around doing nothing but davening that my calcium stays up. My husband is working, my four kids are home and we don't eat processed foods or foods cooked outside of our house.
It is a week of kids, cooking and pot washing.
I made an appointment for Sunday to talk to my doctor and am going to try not to worry about this until then. I hope she has a good answer. I really hope her answer doesn't involve trips to the hospital for blood tests.
This is something I wasn't expecting.
i hate blood tests but,as you,i,need them periodically and although not nearly as frequently
ReplyDeleteas you, they are literally a pain especially as by me that as soon as the needle is in, the vein moves or collapses. i hope something is resolved for during the chag.