My primary care doctor is a wonderful lady. She is a great doctor, a wonderful diagnostician and a very nice person. I didn't realize how much I trusted her until today.
Last week she gave me the name and number of a man who she was hoping could help. We are both frustrated and worried about my calcium issues and the fact that even IV isn't keeping my levels up. She seemed hopeful that he could help. She said that he had helped her over the phone in the past and to call him that evening.
So, feeling like I had nothing to lose except a bit of time, I called. He listed to my brief medical synopsis and said that he needed to see me in person. I was surprised, and not too thrilled. He set a time and gave me his address and I figured I would be calling back to cancel. When I saw my doctor the next day and she was excited that he had me coming in I was even more surprised. I hadn't realized that was her hope.
I was caught off guard and realized after I left my doctor that I still had no idea what this man does. I assumed he was a natural practitioner of some sort, but I had no clue what type, or even if that assumption was correct. I felt odd calling to ask the man what his specialty was and even odder calling and asking my doctor.
Today I went blindly, 45 minutes from home, to see someone knowing only an address, that his name was Igor and his cell phone number.
Only when I got there and read his business card did I learn that he was a Chinese medicine practitioner who specializes in Chinese herbs and acupuncture. I am not thrilled with herbs, their potential toxins and even less thrilled with needles, but I was there and my doctor really though he might help so I stayed.
He took a history, poked me with lots and lots of needles (which get put in an left!) which hurt a lot, massaged in a way which I couldn't only call painful, and then he cracked my back, told me I don't drink enough and warned me about talking on the phone causing cancer.
It was torture.
But I left there with more feeling in my right shoulder and arm. Amazing. I had feeling in places that my surgeon said I wouldn't, and I hadn't for over a year. This was something I never would have done if I had known what I was getting myself into and now I am contemplating going back.
Pain with gain.
I may have walked blindly into something that could help. I certainly never would have done this with my eyes open.
Glad he was able to help you.
ReplyDeleteI wonder who you went to...Shimon Matthews?
ReplyDeletealternative medicine in conjunction with conventional has great benefits.
Thanks Sue.
ReplyDeleteMikimi I went to Igor, I don't remember his last name. I have his card though if you want it. :)