Today I was determined to make challah. I have a machine that does the mixing so it is physically possible. The cleanup is the challenge and the bowl may sit in the sink until someone comes to wash dishes, but there is nothing like fresh challah on a Friday night.
The dough kneeded easily, rose nicely, shaped beautifully and was waiting for the oven.
I took the potato kuggle and sweet potatoes out of the oven without a hitch but proceeded to spill the gravy from the chicken into my oven and onto my oven door. I wiped it up and called the rav (rabbi) to ask what to do. According to halacha (Jewish law) bread needs to be pareve (neither meat nor dairy), there were 75 minutes until Shabbos and the oven was no longer pereve.
The rav didn't have a good answer for me. He thought that cleaning it with oven cleaner and baking the challah covered was an answer, but he obviously had never tried baking bread covered! I gave up on my oven and called a neighbor... I love my neighbor.
Her challah had just come out and she was more than happy to have my husband and daughter bring my challah over to bake. Considering the mad rush most of us have, finishing our cooking at the last minute, an empty oven (preheated none the less!) an hour before Shabbos is no minor miracle.
We are so well taken care of! Sometimes things have to go wrong just so we can see how right things really are.
nothing like a fleishig challah-not!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found a solution -and so timely!
yummmm!!
ReplyDeleteI just got a machine, can you come and teach me how to use it?
Mikimi B"H it worked out well!
ReplyDeleteRivkA I have never used a machine, but I would expect we could figure it out!