The only hitch was I am still radioactive enough to set off their metal detectors. Flying after another treatment should be an interesting experience. I am guessing that extra time in the airport better be factored in. The consulate guards were nice about it, considering my obvious scars and my nice innocent look. The first set didn't even want to wand me, but the supervisor had them after they had told me I was fine. :) The wand declared me clean, which of course I was. Radioactive I may be, terrorist I am not!
I had another annoying run in with the Social Security agent. I went to him to take care of paperwork to get my kids payments on my SSDI claim as my dependents. He insists they each have to have their own bank account, and set me into a bit of a panic. I tried setting up bank accounts for them from here but it was not possible.
In the end I spoke with a Social Security agent over the phone who was courteous, smart and very very helpful. She pointed me to the manual and code which allows the kids payments to be put into my account, as long as they are my kids, in my care, living in my house and the money is being spent on them.
I emailed the worker from the US Consulate and oddly enough their automated email now says that they will get back to me within 10 business days, as opposed to their old automated email which said up to 5 business days. I hope the right person eventually gets and understands the email though, no matter when they decide to open it.
Speaking of opening things, and deliveries, while we were at the Consulate our driver picked up more night time diapers for my son from the person who brought them from the states for us. B"H for kind helpful people. Having diapers that work and his bed dry in the morning is a huge huge help/relief/miracle. Not needing to change his sheets, bath him, etc before he leaves the house is a huge help in the morning and not needing to remake his bed every single evening is a huge help as well.
Right around the corner from where the diapers were there is a new and exciting American style bakery which is selling some much raved about donuts. We had him pick some of those up for us as well! As usual, he was a great sport about our odd requests. I think he actually enjoyed donut shopping for us.
After lighting our Chanukah menorah tonight we had a family party. The six of us enjoyed our special donuts and chocolate milk. We gave the kids some new books as well. Books are a favorite treat here and I had to pry them away from them for bedtime, so we will likely get some vacation entertainment out of the books still!
It was a long but very happy and productive day. B"H
I'm a bit behind on reading you but I'll catch up.
ReplyDelete