I made two big jars of pickles out of the cucumbers that my husband bought long enough ago that I had figured that they were rotten. B"H the cucumbers were fine, the fresh dill was still fresh and IY"H we will be eating pickles again soon!!
The cucumbers were sitting in a closed plastic bag in the fridge for at least a week, which would generally guarantee rotten cucumbers. Having them all look great is really miraculous. It was a lot of cucumbers and cucumbers right now are really expensive. They have gone from 4nis a kilo (just about 50 cents a pound) full price and one shekel a kilo on sale (~12 cents a pound) to 12nis a kilo (~1.50 a pound) on sale. Waisting food is always sad, but waisting expensive food is close to criminal.
I also cleaned out my hospital bag. There wasn't much in there, some socks, a slip, toothpaste, coffee packets... just stuff that didn't get unpacked after my last hospitalization. We found long ago, with my son and his hospitalizations, that if I completely unpacked, whether it was a day, a week or a month later, we would be right back inpatient. So to try to prevent that I kept the bag fully packed and in waiting. Slowly over the last year and a bit we have stopped with the packed bag but never full unpack either.
With surgery scheduled I think it is safe to unpack already. I have no illusions that I am staying home.
Of course, now that I am unpacked I started thinking about what to pack. I have plenty of time to think about that and make my lists before I need to put anything in the bag though.
I need to call my surgeon tomorrow and ask if he has results from the CT. I am not sure if I want them or not but it generally is best to be prepared.
FEEL BETTER SOON
ReplyDelete