Sunday, October 17, 2010

Thank you for the warning!

My CT was tonight. It was a colossal time sink, as are most trips to the hospital. 6:15pm I arrived for my 6:30pm appointment. I got a bit lost and ended up coming back downstairs to ask for directions. Waiting for the elevator to go back up someone called my name. It was my surgeon!

Talk about hashgacha pratis (divine intervention)! Not only was he able to point me in the right direction for my CT he also wrote me a letter (in English) for Social Security! Instead of translating I seem to be collecting a set of notes in English, which makes me feel better. I hope it makes Social Security happy. I am thinking of sending in the current doctors' letters in English plus the old records in Hebrew with just the key ones translated and all of them labeled as to what they are.
I waited from 6:30pm until 8pm for my CT. It seems they forgot me. It was very busy, with a lot of urgent cases coming in so I waited patiently until just before 8pm. Once I went to the secretary to ask what was going on and when I would be taken they got me in right away.

Same with the disk of pictures. They said it would take up to half an hour. Other people were being called up to get theirs, so I waited. After half an hour I went and asked and it was actually waiting right there for me.

I wonder how much time I could save by not being polite and patient?

Speaking of being patient, there was little communication tonight. I didn't get much in terms of instruction or what to expect so I am glad that someone who loves me had filled me in and warned me. IV CT contrast is an odd odd thing. Not only can it make you flush and a bit sick to your stomach it makes it feel like you peed yourself. Not that you actually do, but it really feels like it. The only reason I didn't freak out was the warning, which I think should have been given by the hospital staff as well!

Can you imagine trying to stay still and not move feeling like that, not knowing you didn't and that the sensation was normal?

So now you are warned too. :) If you ever have a CT with contrast and feel like you peed on yourself, you probably didn't.

2 comments:

  1. It's a horrible feeling, isn't it? Yea, doctors never give enough information. When I had my first scan, and I am VERY clausterphobic, my doc described it as an x-ray. I was not happy to realize I had to lay still for 40 minutes with something solid inches from my face. EEWWW! I've learned to ask way more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it actually feels warm and "burny" and weird.

    ReplyDelete


Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map